Situated on the banks of Eyre Creek, the small town of Watervale was surveyed into town blocks in 1847. Today, it remains a cluster of heritage buildings, one of which is the well-preserved Stanley Grammar School (now an accommodation business). Watervale’s place in the history of the Australian wine industry is significant. The first five acres of grapes for commercial use were planted by Francis Treloar in 1853. Some of this history can be revisited in the present-day Quelltaler winery buildings, museum and vineyards. The town’s many vines continue as a source of Australia’s finest Rieslings.